Yamaha FZ1 2013
Real-world performance that will make your everyday ride extraordinary...
The 2013 Yamaha FZ1 is a cutting edge sport bike with a twist. Unlike most other machines in this class, the Yamaha FZ1 features state of the art engine and chassis designs. The twist is you do not have to sacrifice performance or handling to gain excellent rider and passenger comfort... the 2013 FZ1 offers it all!
2013 Yamaha FZ1
US MSRP Price: $10,790 (Cobalt Blue) 49 state model October 2012 / CA model November 2012
Type 998cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 20 valves
Bore x Stroke 77 x 53.6mm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection
Ignition Digital TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition with 32-bit ECU
Transmission 6-speed w/multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension / Front 43mm fork; fully adjustable, 5.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping, 5.1-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 320mm floating discs w/4-piston calipers
Brakes / Rear 245mm disc w/single-piston caliper
Tires / Front 120/70-ZR17
Tires / Rear 190/50-ZR17
Length 84.3 in
Width 30.3 in
Height 47.4 in
Seat Height 32.1 in
Wheelbase 57.5 in
Ground Clearance 5.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 25.0°
Trail 4.3 in
Fuel Capacity 4.8 gal
Fuel Economy** 35 mpg
Wet Weight*** 487 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
*Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Please read your Owner's Manual and all labels before operation.
**Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road
conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo, and operator/passenger weight.
***Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel.
2013 Yamaha FZ1
Canada MSRP Price: $11,999 CDN
Engine Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 20-valve, in-line four-cylinder
Bore and Stroke 77 x 53.6mm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Maximum Torque 10.6kg-m (76.7 ft-lb) @ 9,000 rpm
Fuel Delivery 45mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection
Estimated Fuel Consumption* 15kpl / 42mpg (Imp.)
Lubrication Wet sump
Ignition / Starting TCI / Electric
Final Drive "O"-ring chain
Suspension (Front) Adjustable inverted 43mm fork
Suspension (Rear) Fully adjustable link Monocross
Brakes (Front) Dual 320mm discs
Brakes (Rear) 245mm disc
Tires (Front) 120/70ZR17
Tires (Rear) 190/50ZR17
Length 2,140mm (84.3")
Width 770mm (30.3")
Height 1,205mm (47.4")
Wheelbase 1,460mm (57.5")
Rake / Trail 25° / 109mm (4.3")
Seat Height 815mm (32.1")
Fuel Capacity 18 litres (4 imp. gallons)
Wet Weight 220 kg (485 lb.)
Colour(s) Dark Metallic Purplish Blue
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
2013 Yamaha FZ1 Review
From Twisties to Touring
Think of the 2013 Yamaha FZ1 as an upright R1 ready to take on the world. There's more fuel-injected power in that smooth 20 valve four-cylinder than most riders will ever use, in a sure fotted chassis. It's a rider's best ally, from track days, to commuting, to touring.
Crunch the numbers, do the math and then take a seat aboard one of the world's best "naked" sport bikes.
Surprisingly comfortable eh? You are looking at one of the best values in Yamaha's 2013 line-up. The FZ1 offers exceptional open class performance with cutting style. R1 inspired power, fuel injection, twin spar aluminum frame and fully adjustable suspension. The FZ1 is a serious sport bike that offers an exceptionally comfortable and exciting riding experience.
2013 Yamaha FZ1 Key Features
• Fuel Consumption ± 15kpl/42mpg(Imp)
• 3rd generation fuel injected R1 powerplant
• Serious sports focus with comfortable ergonomics
• Our ultimate street brawler brings 998cc of fuel-injected power to the fray, in a light-and-strong aluminum frame.
• Sculpted bodywork and a comfortable handlebar position for great looks and rider comfort.
• Fully adjustable 43mm inverted fork and a single shock with adjustable preload and rebound damping. Tunable for sport touring or urban assault.
2013 Yamaha FZ1 Features and Benefits
• Ultra-lightweight 998cc, DOHC, 20-valve, liquid-cooled, 40 degree inclined, in-line four-cylinder engine. The engine has been tuned to provide outstanding performance and excellent passing performance.
• The crankcases, pistons, cylinder and cylinder head are based on the 3rd generation R1 powerplant ('04 to '06).
• Combustion chamber design and squish area has been optimized for maximum sports performance. The compression ratio for the FZ1 is 11.5:1. Redline is set at 12,000 rpm and features a "soft" rev limiter to protect the engine.
• Special lightweight, high lift, high performance intake and exhaust cams help to provide incredible horsepower and fast engine response. Cam profiles and the cam timing are designed to provide for more low to midrange power (Vs R1) .
• Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces both maintenance and mechanical engine noise.
• Lightweight, 3rd generation R1 based crankshaft provides quick engine response.
• Connecting rods are carburized for strength and durability and use a nutless design. The lower end "cap" of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion, this design is known as "fracture splitting". This design aids in establishing true big end roundness and greater precision in con rod dimensions for great durability.
• Closed deck cylinder design allows the cylinders to be spaced more closely together, allowing a narrower engine. The cylinder block is a stand-alone part. The benefit if this design is improved sealing, and easier serviceability.
• Ceramic composite plated cylinder "bores" are a "liner less" design with the ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block to ensure great heat dissipation for consistent power delivery, reduced friction and reduced weight.
• Short skirt, lightweight forged pistons reduce mechanical vibration and improve throttle response.
• 3rd generation R1 inspired "stacked" 3-axis gearbox / clutch design stacks input/output shafts to create a low center of gravity and keeps overall engine size shorter front to back. As a result, the stacked design gives the engineers the freedom to place the engine in the frame for optimum front to rear weight balance and thereby maximizing handling
• Smooth shifting 6-speed transmission features optimized gear ratios for maximum performance in the "real world". 5th and 6th ratios are wider (taller) for reduced engine rpms at highway speeds for more relaxed cruising.
• Compact, heavy duty, multi-plate clutch ensures consistent, positive engagement and uses coil springs (5) and paper based fiber plates (9) to reduce weight.
• Mikuni fuel injection system is based on the 2006 R1 design, featuring 45mm throttle bodies fitted with T.P.S. (Throttle Position Sensor). This style of fuel injection uses dual throttle valves. The secondary or sub throttle valves are motor driven and control the intake air volume for optimum throttle response.
• The actual injectors are Denso "long nose" type injectors with a high dynamic range and 4-spray holes for excellent power and response across the entire rev range.
• Specially designed 8.2-liter air box with intake air temperature sensor maximizes performance. A viscous paper-type air filter is utilized.
• The fuel injection's lightweight Electronic Control Unit (ECU) utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for faster control of the injection process. The compact design also reduces weight.
• Yamaha's patented Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve (EXUP) monitors engine rpm and adjusts exhaust flow for maximum performance at all rpms with no flat spots. This system also optimizes fuel economy and reduces emissions.
• 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust system features stainless steel exhaust pipes and a short design silencer / muffler. The header pipe length has been optimized for maximum power delivery. This system is fitted with two 3-way honeycomb catalyziers with an oxygen sensor to reduce harmful CO and HC exhaust emissions.
• High-efficiency curved radiator features compact dual ring-type fans for maximum cooling efficiency. This rad and fan design produces more airflow than conventional flat design rads to maintain optimum engine temperatures for consistent power output. The curved design also allows a shorter wheelbase.
• Large, liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains stable lubricant temperatures for extended engine life. Convenient spin-off oil filter is used.
• Convenient clutch cover sightglass ensures easy oil level inspection.
• Maintenance-free transistor-controlled ignition (TCI) ensures fast starts and great performance at all rpms.
• Air Induction System (AIS … not ram air) reduces harmful HC and CO exhaust emissions for a cleaner environment.
Chassis and Suspension:
• Die cast lightweight aluminum twin spar frame provides an optimized rigidity balance for incredible sports handling. The engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter main frame design without sacrificing stability and light, agile handling qualities.
• The riding position which is one of the most important features of the FZ1, it offers a balance between a sporty riding position and great rider comfort.
• Key chassis geometry figures include: 51% front and 49 % rear weight balance, 25 degrees of rake and 109 mm of trail. The 47 degree lean angle highlights the FZ1 sporty side.
• Lightweight, detachable rear sub frame allows easy access to rear suspension components and reduces costs in the event of a "loop-out".
• C.F. (Controlled Filling) die cast truss-type rear swingarm offers great rear wheel control and traction for razor-sharp cornering and superb stability at speed. The long 629mm arm helps to minimize the effect of "chain tensioning" on the bike's handling.
• 43mm Kayaba inverted cartridge style fork is fully adjustable and offers 130mm (5.1") of wheel travel. This fork features independent damping adjustments for compression and rebound via a one way port that separates the two functions. Adjustments include: 9-way spring preload, 26-way compression damping and 26-way rebound damping. The adjustable design allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match rider weight and road /track conditions to maximize handling and suspension performance.
• Lightweight aluminum upper triple clamp features a 25mm offset for sportier handling.
• Link-type Monocross rear suspension features an adjustable Kayaba shock that allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match load and road conditions. Adjustments include 7 - way spring preload, and 12-way rebound damping. Rear wheel travel is 130mm or 5.1"
• 320mm dual front discs are squeezed by ultra rigid R6 inspired monoblock, 4-piston calipers which provide outstanding stopping power and lever feedback. The master cylinder utilizes 16mm piston for outstanding stopping power with less lever effort.
• 245mm rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston slide-type Nissin caliper with sintered metal brake pads.
• Lightweight cast-aluminum 5-spoke wheels reduce unsprung weight for great handling characteristics. The front wheel is an MT3.50-17 and is fitted with competition-spec 120/70-ZR17 tire, while the rear wheel is a MT6.00-17 fitted with a wide 190/50-ZR17 rear radial.
• Eye catching, half fairing offers surprisingly good wind and weather protection. It features R1 inspired dual "cat eye" halogen headlights.
• Conventional handlebar design features a more upright riding position for maximum everyday comfort. Handlebar is mounted above the top triple clamp.
• 18-liter fuel tank offers a slim design with great knee grip. The reserve portion of the tank is 3.4 litres.
• Separate rider and passenger seats offers exceptional solo or two-up comfort.
• One-piece instrumentation features analog tachometer, digital speedometer, dual tripmeters, fuel gauge, clock and new outside air temperature display. The back lighting on the instrument can be adjusted to suit the rider's preference.
• Low fuel warning light
• Integrated passenger grab rails
• Adjustable, 5-position front brake lever
• Durable "O" ring-sealed drive chain
• Lightweight, sealed low-maintenance battery
• Excessive lean angle engine cut-out switch.
• Lockable steering
The FZ1 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
Motorcycle Insurance Information
Check Out a Typical Allstate Motorcycle Insurance PolicyInsurance PolicyInsurance Policy
We'll show what coverages may be available and how to get the personalized protection you need.
Even if you've been riding for years, it's a good idea to take a close look at your motorcycle insurance coverage. Things change, and chances are you've got a lot to look out for.
Explore features available from Allstate
Our motorcycle insurance coverage is packed with ways to help turn a really bad day around.
Allstate offers great coverage for gas-friendly scooters
For people who have turned to scooters for gas savings -- or just because they're fun -- you'll be happy to know that Allstate offers coverage for those, too. No matter the engine size, gas or electric, Allstate provides scooter insurance for most street-legal vehicles, offering the same great protection and discounts as our motorcycle coverage.
To get your free quote, call 1-877-379-BIKE (1-877-379-2453) today.